Tuesday 9 December 2008

On Saturday we had some friends come over in the afternoon to go sledging with. Their two boys had a lsedge which had sat for two years doing nothing so were really desperate to give it a run out. Where they live in Lancaster they had no snowjust ice! The kids all had great fun, the sledge runs were really icey and fast, Kevin (their dad) set to work building an igloo with Eilidh which ended up looking really good. A few hours later, after me and Trixi had given into the cold and gone indoors they all appeared back for hot chocolate and biscuits before heading home. Four tired kids (and parents!)

Sunday we went off to church, Ben decided he didn't want to go into his group so went into church with Dave and behaved brilliantly! I was roped into helping with the littlies as someone was away and then home for a quiet afternoon in front of the telly watching Madagascar

Eilidh had an appointment at the hospital physio on Monday for her leg. I hate these appointments, there always seems to be about three people there all talking amongst themselves about Eilidh and pretty much ignoring anyone else! I tend to get 'het' up and never think to ask the right questions while I'm there and the questions I do ask seem to get the reaction that it's not their department and I have to ask the consultant!!?? Anyway the upshot is that her leg isn't any better, she's now going to be referred to a paediatrician so we will have three seperate appointments, no doubt in different hospitals for them all to say the same thing...GRRRRRR! So from what I can gather we see the physio about her shoe rise and if it needs changing, the consultant for any other questions and the paediatrician about goodness knows what???? I was also really wound up because the physio turned around and asked about her reading and writing and asked her to bring in a story or something she has written next time we see them. WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH HER LEG????????? Eilidh turned around and told her she had the reading age of an 11 year old and she didn't like writing but could do it when she wanted to so I somehow don't think they will getting anything from her for the next appointment and I certainly won't be making her!!

Anyway.. another quiet day today, making Christmas cards (at last!), listening to story CD's whilst painting and playing with the Magnetix. Eilidh has posters put up all around our house for a play she will be putting on about Robin Hood on the 19th so if anyone wants to come??!!


5 comments:

Mum-jenny said...

Interesting ! what the Physio asked Eilidh to do.
could it be that there is a movement to do a sly check on Home Ed Children, I should encourage her to do the Essay as it would scotch that one.in fact make it about something interesting like 'The Romans'

Lock Family said...

Well it certainly seemed like that. She had first asked if she was at school but I just can't see what this has got to do with her leg, even if she couldn't read or write?? I have just gone into 'stubborn, how dare you mode' and feel very inclined not to do anything!!

Mieke said...

No, I wouldn't either, Naomi! They have absolutely no right to ask for things like that, certainly not without consulting you first.
There is a tendency nowadays to overcheck on children that appear to be not mainstream, and I think a lot of people in health and social care are making overly sure that no-one can accuse them of 'having missed anything'.
If I was in your shoes I think I would thank her kindly for her concern and explain that Eilidh is fully legally home educated, and would she maybe like some more information about it? Or something like that. But I would make 100% sure this physio knows she's overstepping the mark, which she is.
I might also be tempted to start a conversation about how so many of Eilidh's peergroup in schools are not reading or writing still, and on top of that are being bullied, or in general feeling very miserable and unhappy...
Grrrr, people like that unleash my inner tigress ;))

Lock Family said...

I know that feeling!!!

Fran said...

Prehaps they do not have such sinister intentions. It could be that they want to check her general coordination and handwriting is a good indication of problems in that area. Don't panic! x