Saturday 21 May 2011

Boys...

Ben, my youngest is a boy...obvious you may say with a name like that but Ben has long blonde hair and blue eyes, looks like an angel (at times) and is often mistaken for a girl by people who don't know him! In reality he is a 'real lad' and loves nothing more than playing lego, sword fighting, den building, cycling, scootering, play fighting and chasing aorund like a mad thing. I know there are plenty of girls out there that love these as well but really if you knew Ben you know he is the male variety!!

I'm just a little confused however......after a rare successful trip to the 'Fun Factory' last week (one of my least favourite places due to past experiences) I thought we had cracked it....Ben happily ran, tumbled, chucked himself around and nobody minded...in fact he had a little baby laughing and following him around thinking he was the best thing since Farleys Rusks! I managed to drink my coffee and read trashy magazine in relative peace feeling quite stress free.......

Stupidly I agreed to go back today, (it's miserable weather here at the moment). It's Saturday...what was I thinking?? The place wasn't too busy but there were a few little lads about the same age as Ben so off he went. The next hour was spent watching every move Ben made in case he upset one of them. They would chase Ben and then go and 'tell' on him when he chased them back, they would push and then go and 'tell' if he pushed them back.......is this what kids are taught to do in school?? His home educated friends play for hours, fight, argue, talk it over, comprimise, play again.,without involving us adults...where have kids got this idea that when faced with any confrontation they have to get someone else to sort it out?? Unfortunately that's not the way it works in the real world.....Apart from feeling a bit angry and fed up it did make me wonder if some boys in some schools are being girlicized (new word!) ....not allowed to play fight, to climb trees, rough and tumble so they just don't know how to handle it when someone else does? A lot of boys need to do these 'boy' things to get through a day without feeling frustrated and angry. Makes me so glad I home educate!!



       The ever so gorgeous Ben...!

No comments: