Tuesday 26 August 2008

Eilidhs Birthday

Eilidh is now the grand old age of 7!! I can't quite believe it was seven years ago when we had no idea about babies and kids!! She had decided a while ago that she wanted to spend the day at the South Lakes Animal Park, unfortunately her birthday fell smack bang on the Bank Holiday weekend (bad timing!). The zoo was heaving, they were even parking people in a field down the road by the time we arrived. We still had a great day, Eilidh was in her element telling us what all the animals were and I kept getting the rolled eyes whenever I didn't get the exact name correct!! She desperately wanted to feed the Leemurs and got a chance to hold a banana for one. I will post up a load of pictures later.

We were all shattered when we left the zoo and Eilidh had decided she wanted to go to Pizza Hut for tea. As we were a little bit too early we went for a drive onto Walney Island, an island attached by road to Barrow. It's a really strange place with a windswept, seaside feel and actually quite large. We drove right up to one end, stopping off to watch the waves roll in at a beach and then down to the other end. We drove right along this stoney beach in the truck and stopped when we couldn't go any further (nearly getting grounded in some loose stones but we won't go into that!!). We then spent half an hour in the late afternoon sunshine (yes, we had a bit!) throwing stones and collecting lots of nice smooth pebbles for the kids to paint. As I spent quite a few years of my childhood splashing in and out of the sea and down on the beach it was lovely to just sit and watch the waves rolling in, plus of course I am a closet beachcomber!!

Eilidh was very excited as I had finally persuaded Dave to let her have a pet of her own, well ok it's only fish but it's a start! We got her a little aquarium with all the stuff that goes with it and in a weeks time she will be the proud owner of six little fish. We have to leave the aquarium to stand for a week before putting fish in so she is checking it every morning to make sure the pump is still working and the water is nice and clear!!

The last couple of days it has been raining again, so we have been stuck in the house. Ben is bouncing of the walls and desperately needs to let off steam. One of my friends reckons he could have Aspergers, while his group leader at church was asking if he had any food allergies as he seems to have completely hyper moments. Who knows? Maybe he is just a very active little man, I get worn out just watching him sometimes!!

10 comments:

Fran said...

Happy birthday to EilidhXXX
I wouldn't worry too much about Ben I wouldn't say he had Aspergers traits. Boys do get a bit manic at times!!!! Then their mothers turn Manic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fran said...

Happy birthday to EilidhXXX
I wouldn't worry too much about Ben I wouldn't say he had Aspergers traits. Boys do get a bit manic at times!!!! Then their mothers turn Manic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tina said...

No i dont think he has aspergers either, he's just a boy who has lots of energy he will calm down as he gets older.
Who wants a boring kid anyway lol

Glad Eilidh had a good birthday but where's the pics!!!

Lock Family said...

Sorry, I'm being a computer nonce! Since we changed our computer I'm not sure how to do it so I need to sweet talk Dave into doing it again (he's only showed me about four times already so I'm picking a moment when he's in a good mood......could be a while!!!!!)

Mieke said...

Ben's just a naturally bouncy and not overly restricted but ever so lovely little lad! Full of life! What about having a nice day out in Carlisle - or somewhere close by - all by yourself/ves, and leaving the kids with me/us?? I wouldn't mind at all!!

Mieke said...

Whoops - and I meant to say a belated happy birthday to Eilidh! Lovely pics (on the next post)... especially of the kids... don't they just look soooo much like Dave!

Mieke said...

Here's scatter brain again: About the food allergies, that's definitely worth looking at. Sometimes a little adjustment to the diet does wonders and helps children find their balance a bit more easily. xxx

Lock Family said...

Hi Mieke,

Having a day off sounds fantastic but not sure when we would be able to do it as Dave has loads of work on at the moment and I am still car-less! Will let you know and thanks so much for the offer.

Yes, they are very like their daddy aren't they, although there was a great big hairy monkey that Dave had a uncanny resemblence to!! (I'll be in trouble when he reads this!)

I guess we will have to re-adjust our diet and try to cut out any junk food which has crept in and see how we do.

See you soon!!

Mieke said...

We could pick you up from the station! Although, I do remember how it was to travel on the train with a bouncy little adventurous boy... I think I've only ever done it once... hmmm... I'll have a think, maybe we can come up your way sometime soon! Anyway, it's about time for us to come and see your house! xxx

Lock Family said...

You are always welcome here, if you can put up with mess, clutter, dust and 'stuff' all over the place!!!!

I'm afraid to say I only ever invite people over who will accept us for us as our house is definately not show home material!!!